Saturday, January 1, 2011

Done

Just about done anyway.  M calls this my sewing room.  But I do more than sew in here.  I like, do and try all kinds of crafts. My computer desk is here. This is where I pay bills, plan menus, am attempting to compile recipes and where I blog.  This is my space, the place I come to relax, enjoy and sometimes just hide.  My Girlies call it Meme's Room and that's what I call it too.

I have been wanting the room totally done before I showed it all.  I still have at least one more redo project, a couple of small things and probably endless tweaking but I just can't wait anymore.  I thought showing an accomplished project would be a great way for me to start my New Year too.  Inspire me to get more done!

FYI, the green in this room just does not photograph well -  even My Girl had trouble with it.  The color is much prettier than the pics.  It's called Sha Green which tells you nothing; it's somewhere between a soft sage and a very pale avocado.  Which probably still tells you nothing!

The door is always a good beginning and also a way to say, I decided to paint my doors black.  I had been thinking about it and just decided to do it after I painted my computer desk with the Martha's paint that I loved so much. (K, the paint is called Francesca - isn't that perfect!)  I'm really glad I did, I love the black doors!


I stuck a chalkboard vinyl sticker from the Dollar Store on the door at Girlie's heighth.  I thought it would be fun for them when they visit.


The room is not very big, only 12'x12' but I think I managed to maximize my space yet still make it pretty.  I am going to try to be brief with my commentary but I am excited about this room!  Maybe I will  go into detail how I did what in another post or 2 or 3 or....  I think this post is going to be long enough as it is.  So come on in and see my pretty room but I will warn you, there are a bunch of pictures!

This is the what you see from outside the room and as  you walk in the door.  I moved the small bookshelf up from the Little Old House and above it is my Girlie Wall. 


The bookshelf is filled with my craft/sewing books, my sewing magazines in a neat holder I got at a thrift store and a striped hat box that holds embroidery floss.


On top of the shelf is a cute little lamp I got at Hobby Lobby on a clearance rack, a pretty faded bowl that was Mother's filled with some rag balls, old sewing items from Mama, Mother and some aunts.  The pliers were Mama's and if you look close, you can see she etched Pearl on them!


There is also a little monogramed bucket from Hobby Lobby.  It holds little curlyque hangers, you can see one of them in the bowl next to the 17 cent rickrack.  The hangers are for this:


I made this from an old fake painting that was my maternal grandmother's, we all called her Mama.  It was very faded and just bad looking so I took the fake painting out,  stretched the wire on the back of the frame and then gave it all a coat of black spray paint and then gilted it a bit.  I wanted to be able to have a changing gallery of my Girlies and other stuff.   Vintage, heirloom, inexpensive wall decor - love it!

That's My Girl's work on the wall above it. (in more ways than one)  That's the one that was published in Attached at the Heart.   I hope to add more to it.  Also, though you may not have noticed, there are NO photos of Baby Girlie up there.  That's because I have none.  So I went to the the Little Yellow House downloaded a bunch and have a file ready to send somewhere to have prints made.  As soon as I figure out how to do it.

As you step into the room you immediately see my sewing cabinet turned into desk, my redone shelves and the window with it's new window treatment.  Don't you love my polka dot pelmet with it's striped ruffle.  I do!  This is how I made this so very simple window treatment.


This is the debut of my shelves.  They also deserve their own post or at least the amount of time I spent on them does!  They are the #1 reason this room took so long.  But I love them! I have always loved McKenzie-Childs' stuff and I also have always loved and admired  Mary Engelbreit.  These are like a combination of the two, they are so much fun! Especially with that serious little desk sitting between them.  What do you think of the knobs and pulls I put on it?


The smaller shelf on the right holds all my office stuff, like printer paper, card stock, mailing stuff etc.  I got 3 of those rose/striped boxes at TJMaxx several years ago.  They are the reason I had the pink and black in my sewing nook down at the Little Old House, and were really the inspiration for this room too.  This one holds my mail scale and shipping stuff.  The empty spot is waiting for the new all in one printer/scanner thingy I am going to buy with some Christmas money.


Right next to that shelf is the closet.  See, black door!

See, only one finial on the shelf.  Four are done waiting to be put on.  Four are almost done.  That is them in their unfinished state on the white thing next to the closet, although they are now further along than that. 


The white thing next to the closet is my last redo project that is not even started.  Two little cubby shelves that will become one.  I hope.  My plan is to hook them together somehow, add some trim and possibly legs and then attach the top to it.  I haven't decided whether to paint it black or leave it white.  I'm still looking for basket thingies to fit in it.  I'll probably end up making my own.  I want to put Girlie craft stuff in it.

Above the cubby shelf is a black metal tray that I want to make some cool magnets for and above the tray is this:


The Serenity Prayer and my Mother are forever entwined in my mind.  I found this frame in a house we bought.  It had  a cracked mirror in it.  The frame was white and it's PLASTIC!  Spray paint and gilt worked wonders on it.  You can't even tell it's plastic now.  I laid out the first part of the prayer in my desktop publishing program and printed it out on a .29 sheet of scrapbook paper.  Cheapo wall decor - love it!

The other tall shelf holds sewing and craft stuff.  I put  a lot of my pink, green, black and white fabric on it cause I thought it would look good yet still be useful.  My patterns, glue gun and other sewing stuff are in the storage containers.  I would love to have them in cute baskets instead but these were all in the Little Old House and the cost to replace them with cute baskets would be exorbitant.  Practicality and frugality wins. 


Next, is the sewing/craft table that I've already showed and notice it still has no chair.  It's still waiting for it's rolling office chair from the attic in the Little Old House.  I have added a few things to the wall though and I absolutely love the way it looks!


I got these frames from My Girl several years ago.  I modpodged  scrapbook paper on them, laid out the definitions on the computer, printed them out on pink paper then stuck them in.  Free wall decor - love it!


This is Mother's thimble and tape measure.  I was thrilled when I unpacked her stuff I brought home and found the pink and black tape measure!


The little initialed box I got at a thrift store, it had the name of a powder on the label area, so I just painted over it and put my inital on it with a scrapbook letter.  It has all my safety pins in it.  The hat box  has my machine attachments in it.

The rose/striped box over here holds my needles and that's an old needle package from Mother's sewing stuff sticking out the top.  Next to it I added more of my black lidded salsa jars filled with some fun pink trim and my hang tags and labels.  Just in case I decide to start selling again, otherwise they're just fun to look at!


Underneath the shelves I hung a memo board that I made from a frame I got off a clearance rack at a dollar store, some cork squares and fabric I got on our trip to Kentucky.  It's for ideas, pics or anything I want to put up there.  More little buckets from Hobby Lobby hold my bobbins and thread covers for my machine.


Next to my thread holder I hung a pair of Mama's scissors from a cute hook I got at Hobby Lobby, I think this is one of my favorite things in my room.  Every time I look at them I think of her, her quilts and everything else she did!  I may put a copy of a poem I wrote about her hands in here somewhere.  Next to the scissors is Mother's clock.


I hung a small white shelf that I already had above the cutting table.   Notice I now have TWO pink chairs.   


M put the shelf on under the cutting table.  I'm still looking for the right size baskets or trays to put on it.  My cutting stuff is under there, including tape measures, rulers and tracing paper.  Also rolls of stuff like fabric bonding and pattern plastic.  I've got a couple of containers under the table on the floor as catch alls for stuff I'm working with and haven't put away yet.  That's really important for me!  Otherwise it will pile up on the table until I can't stand it.  I am not good at putting away when I'm done.  I'm working on that though.


K, do you see any difference in the table top?  I fancied it up a little with a gold paint pen when I was doing my shelves.  It looks great!  

The hanging shelf holds other cutting stuff like my chalk, marking pens and tracing wheels.  Those are in my Texas Mason Jars.  I love them!  Of course they were Mother's too.  The rose/striped box over here holds scissors and rotary cutters.  I've been looking for some small black hooks to hang on the board under the shelf but haven't found any that were small enough.  My local blacksmith visited today and told me he'd make me some.  He likes my room and comes in here and just sits with me while I do things.   


On one side of the shelf is my table top ironing board, I got it at a thrift store for 3 bucks. It's kind of old and it has a sturdy wooden frame. I've never seen one like it before. I painted the frame black and made a cover for it out of the same fabric I used on the memo board. It looks cute hanging up and it's perfect to have handy when I'm just needing to press seams.

The black box was one of Mother's sewing boxes that I did a redo on.  It holds trims.  You can see what I did to it and also what's what in some of the boxes here.


On the other side of the shelf is another cute hook from Hobby Lobby holding some of my rulers and tape measures and above it is a subway type art board I made from scrap wood and another .29 sheet of scrapbook paper.  More cheap wall decor - love it!


This brings us back to the door and what is behind it. This spool holder holds my actual sewing thread.  The one on the other wall holds my embroidery, applique threads.  This one is not as cute or as special so it got hid behind the door.


Now to get in here and get busy.  Chloe needs a new winter jacket.  I want to make a shower curtain, trim a rug, make a bed covering for the guest room and of course I have to work on kitchen stuff.  The kitchen is what M has been working on!  More on that later.

Hope you liked my room - I  love it!  It's fun, pretty and organized.  It is so nice to be able to come in and work without having to find room, clear space and haul everything out of storage in all parts of the house.  I could spend all my time in here easily.  M thinks I do.

2 comments:

  1. Are you still haunting? What can I say - where do I start? WOW! I love the pink and black together and all the different fabrics. I love that you brought in a little bit of Mama and Mother. I love the bookshelves - nobody would believe what they looked like before. The window treatment is awesome - can I steal it for my sewing room? You need pics of Juju. I love the thought of you in there creating something beautiful or fun. I LOVE LOVE LOVE IT! And I love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I see you also have some wooden thread spools in your sewing room. So glad I saved mine.

    ReplyDelete