Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Boxes

This sewing box was part of the treasure that I brought home with me from my Mother's.


What?  You don't see a treasure?  Okay, so maybe it's a little 80ish.  The inside is not any better.


Doesn't really match my room either.  And I am all about matchy matchy.  Right My Girl?  So, the top got ripped off , the insides got ripped out and it was beautied up with my black spray paint.  Of course.

Prettied up the inside.


Prettied up the outside with some fun rolled and twisted fabric roses I made.



See, a treasure.


I filled my treasure box back up with the treasure that came home in it.  Vintage metallic trims.  I'm thinking they may need to go in one of my glass jars.  Maybe later.


Mother would have loved this pretty black box with roses on it.  And she really would have loved that it didn't cost me anything!


I just needed a very small scrap of fabric to recover the inside of the treasure box, so I pulled this out to find a piece.



This is how I keep my fabric scraps.  For applique or for when I just need a small piece for something.  I have them sorted by colors in the shoeboxes you can get anywhere.  Cheap.  I stacked the ones that matchied my room on my fun shelves.


On top of them is another shoebox that holds my purchased appliques.  The rest of the scrap boxes  are in my closet tucked away out of sight.


This bigger box holds applique patterns and scraps that have already have had an iron on adhesive applied to them and under that you can see another shoe box that holds trims.
 

I used to do a lot of applique.  Like this.  This is my adorable GrandGirlie#1 at about age 2 in an outfit that I made.  About 8 times.  That's part of the reason I don't sell anymore.  Who wants to make something 8 times?


I store my purchased patterns in 3 of these boxes and I have one box for my own patterns too.  Just for fun I put vintage patterns in the front of the boxes.  These belonged to my cousin Nancy.


I have my glue gun and wood burner, paints, beads and other stuff in more of these boxes.  Here on the shelves


 and the rest in the closet.


the closet is a work in progress and it doesn't have a light!
 Just wanted to share a bit of how I organize all my creative mess!  Now I just have to get everything labeled.


3 comments:

  1. I love the roses on the box. I want to learn how to make those.

    ReplyDelete
  2. how to make roses - a blog post idea! :) It would be an easy one too. even easier than the window treatment.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kathy I love those skirts you made the girls. They always look so cute on little girls and are so nice for summer.

    ReplyDelete