I am the gardener of our DIY duo. I purchase seed and plants. I build beds, mix soil, plant, prune and weed. M waters. I have time, he doesn't.
This year I couldn't garden. So we weren't going to have one. M couldn't stand that. So he bought tomato and pepper plants. He built arbors so we could plant upside down tomatoes.
He moved a couple of my raised beds up The Hill from the garden at the Little Old House
![]() |
| I seem to have only taken pictures of my old garden when it had snow on it! It was a pretty spot, right above the spring. |
to plant our peppers in.
![]() |
| The netting is to keep these neighbors from eating the plant down to a bare stem. |
I did plant the tomatoes in their buckets. I sat in a chair with the bucket sitting on 2 other buckets in front of me. I mixed the soil and planted upside down tomatoes from a sitting position. With my leg sticking out at a real awkward angle. It was not the easiest way to plant that I've tried.
As mentioned before I usually purchase the plants. I prefer heirloom tomatoes. I like to order them and have them delivered; early. I actually had an order ready when I fell and for once was glad that I had procrastinated and not actully ordered 40 or so tomato plants to be delivered at the beginning of May. This is why M doesn't have a clue as to what kind of tomatoes to buy though. He went to our Co-Op and bought the only heirloom tomatoes he saw. They were all small to medium varieties. Not cherry tomatoes just small tomatoes.
They've produced well; ripening a few at a time. Not fast enough to can or freeze but too fast to eat all of them before the next batch ripens.
What do you do with a bowl tomatoes
And exactly who wants to peel tomatoes that small anyway? Not me. So after hearing me
So I googled how to oven dry tomatoes and found at least 20 different how tos. I read them all. Then combined what I had read and did it my way.
First I cut them in halves and laid them on paper towels to drain for an hour.
Then placed them on an oiled cookie sheet, sprinkled them with sea salt and put them in a 250 degree oven.
For about 6 hours. After about 4 hours I started checking them and taking out the ones that looked like they were dry enough. I ended up with wrinkled and shriveled bits of little tomatoes.
But Good Golly Miss Molly!
These funny looking little things absolutely burst with flavor, kind of like chewy sunshine in a bowl.
This is the best thing I've done to preserve tomatoes. Ever! I've already dried 4 batches. AND we have a few hundred of these beauties still hanging around out there.











Your dried tomatoes make me think of making goat milk feta with sun dried tomatoes, garlic, & herbs at the goat farm!! It's been a long time since I dried tomatoes...may have to give it a whirl next year:)
ReplyDelete