Whispering Wheat is not the name of a gorgeous landscape or a quiet loaf of bread. It is the name of the paint I am using in the laundry room. Burnished Brandy is the name of the paint I am using in the family room/kitchen. So do you suppose there are people that get paid to sit around and make up the names of paint? Or do you suppose that when they blend the paint someone just exclaims. "Oh wow! It looks just like a field of wheat whispering in the wind. Or "Gee that looks just like someone burnished some fine brandy!" One of life's mysteries that I may never learn.
I'm using Whispering Wheat for the following reasons:
- I have a whole can of this paint that is not being used for anything else. mmmm, yes, I stockpile paint. OOPS! paint.
- I like the color. Of course, I only buy OOPS! paint that I like.
- The back door opens into the laundry room. The back door that the dirty M uses when he comes in from messing in the red dirt with the dirty Big Orange. So walls need to be camoflaugable.
- Whispering Wheat blends well with red dirt smudged on walls.
I am not kidding. At all.
![]() |
| Gray breaker box, far right. Whispering Wheat cut in, right. Patched wall, far left. Smudged red dirt stains, center. True color of the wall is at the top, it's white with a slight gray pattern. |
That is the wall right next to the back door. It's where M braces himself to lean over and pull off his boots. When he comes in from the red dirt work. That is, when he remembers to take off his boots. Or when he remembers to use the back door. This wall has been washed way more than once. I think I've mentioned that our red dirt acts as a natural dye. Even on scrubbable walls. The color left behind is very similar to Whispering Wheat so I hope that this little problem is hidden by the color.
There is not a lot of room in the Laundry Room. It's a bit eensy. This is the washer and dryer with the cabinets above it.
Opposite the washer and dryer is the furnace in one corner and the water heater closet in the other corner with the door to the family room between them. What's left is a hall like space with the back door at one end and the back of the freezer at the other end. If I put a clothes basket full of dirty clothes in there the room is crowded!
This is the wall immediately to the right of the washer and dryer. That is the back of the freezer that makes up one end of the hall like space; the front of the freezer is in the pantry. We did have shelves above the freezer to store stuff on.
I took them down and emptied the cabinets so I could paint. Some organization is definitely required.
This is the beautiful corner opposite the washing machine, including the back door and the lovely utility box. Your jealous, I just know it.
If you move around the corner a bit you get an even better view of the beauty of this spot.
Eat your heart out.
That is the water heater closet. It had a matching piece of framed drywall screwed over it instead of a door. That was okay because it was behind the laundry room door when it was open - that is a glimpse of the family room doorway on the left of the photo. But the drywall cover broke in the big move. And I hated the laundry room door. The bottom 2 panels were cut out and a HUGE vent was installed in it.
Yes. A. Vent. In. The. Door.
It was the air return for the furnace. We decided we would rather have no door with a slight glimpse of the washer and dryer than seeing the
The entrance to the laundry room is in the corner of the family room, it doesn't bother me having no door because you really have to be standing in the corner of the family room to see into the laundry room. Doesn't bother me at all. Specially once the laundry room gets beautified. And if I come up with something pretty to hide the water heater closet. Working on both of those.
Of course there is also the furnace in the other corner next to the back of the freezer.
Gorgeous right?
This room has a few other challenges. The empty space in the corner next to the washing machine and the cabinets is one of them. Maybe it was for a freezer? If so it was a smaller one than ours which is why we had to put in the pass through we built to the pantry. Right now that empty spot is just wasted space that junk gets piled in.
I have an idea for the space using one of M's grandmother's cabinets, a couple of bifold doors I got from Rae and Nate and a pretty piece of trim I bought at a close out sale. We bought several pieces of trim. They had them for $3.00 for a 10' stick. At 50% off. $1.50 apiece - whoo hoo!
Yesterday morning and today I've been painting. The trim now has 2 coats of our white trim paint and I've started cutting in the Whispering Wheat.
I've also sanded the cabinets, that's what that strange bar is across the bottom of the photo. Getting ready to put some Summer White on them.
I have ideas to work with the oh so obvious flaws in this room to make them a bit more practical to use. And I don't think M will even have to help. I hope. Wish me luck!
Back to the present. I had some of this room finished on the day I fell. I had planned to work on it that day but it was so beautiful outside I wanted to be out there working. The rest is history. K finished painting the Whispering Wheat while she was here and also the cabinets. I have another post started about what we've done in there - just have to finish it!



No comments:
Post a Comment