Very carefully, I promise. And only with my rigged scaffolding.
These are the drawer cabinets that I bought for the island. With 2x8s on them. Due to a change in plans with the island these cabinets are not going to be used. I'll tell you about that change soon. The change will require its own post and I'm having a wee bit of a hard time writing about it. But I do have another plan for the cabinets. When they are through being my scaffolding.
You see, I have a bit of a control problem when it comes to painting trim now. Because of the Evil Ladder, I haven't been able to control when it will get done. So I had to figure out a way to do it myself. So I could regain control. (insert wicked laughter) So M helped me rig this scaffolding. It works great! But oh my, that is a lot of So Sos.
Back to the purpose of this post. Remember this wall?
Just a bit closer look.
What you don't really see is how bad the trim was. Trust me, real bad.
When we worked on the Little Old House, there was so much to do that I taught myself how to do trim work. Windows, doors, baseboards and crowns, I did it.
But trim work involves ladders, lots of ups and downs on ladders. I was bemoaning our lack of progress in the finishing of this room and my almost deathly fear of ladders to the only one that listens to me bemoan. In this room anyway. My sweet son. When he comes to raid my fridge. My very own captive audience. One day he said. "I can do it Mom if you tell me how." I think he decided he no longer wanted to listen to me bemoan. Doesn't matter though because we have become a trimming team of two.
He did most of this for me
and all of this.
And see these almost perfect mitered corners?
He did that all by himself while I was gone one afternoon.
Remember this was the architecturely interesting no door niche next to the door to the laundry room with its oh so lovely vent trim.
Then this part became the no architecturely interesting niche but very useful new entry to the closet that was on the other side of the wall. Transforming the closet into the pantry.
Just look at the awesome door to my awesome pantry now!
Isn't it gorgeous?! He transformed the laundry room doorway and put up the crown molding too!
Now he's working on these.
I'll show you the whole thing when he's done. And when I'm done. Because I'm the one filling all the holes, sanding, caulking seams and painting them pretty!













Gorgeoussss! Do you 2 make house calls?!
ReplyDeleteAlso....I have a gallon of black paint that's burnin' a hole in my pocket and I love, love, love that black door! Uhoh.... =]
Thanks! Might be a bit of a drive to work!! The black paint....I've got all mine painted black now and I love them. Go for it and post a pic somewhere so that I can see it.
DeleteGorgeoussss! Do you 2 make house calls?!
ReplyDeleteAlso....I have a gallon of black paint that's burnin' a hole in my pocket and I love, love, love that black door! Uhoh.... =]
What beautiful work ! I wondered how to paint all the trim white in here & you have given me the answer ! You don't ! You replace it. Now the cabinets don't seem "SO" hard to tackle. I love your blogs
ReplyDeleteLin, Wish I was there to help! I did paint a lot of it before we put it up. But I ended up still having to use lots of painter's tape because I had to paint it again after holes had been filled. Replacing the trim made a huge difference in the looks though. Now to get the kitchen end finished!
Delete