In my dictionary anyway. You know, the one I wrote.
I used yugly here and K wanted to be sure you all knew that this was not a typo. So I'm telling you it wasn't, I wrote it on purpose. Sort of. It really has become part of my vocabulary so I use it almost without thought. So if you can write something on purpose without thought I guess I did it on purpose. Got that? Okay.
So this is why I use it.
When this girl
looked more like this
and then this.
She did this.
This caused a huge callous on her thumb that was always pink and kind of scaly looking. Not real pretty. We tried things to make her stop but without success. I have to admit her dad tried more than I did. I was not real willing to traumatize her just to get her to stop sucking her thumb. One evening when she was 4 or so we watched a television show about children's habits and how to break them. It suggested placing socks or mittens on their hands when they went to bed. I did not say a word to her but noticed her watching intently. Later that night when I went in to tuck her in bed, my precious little girl had somehow managed to put socks on both her hands. I said something like, "Oh baby, I'm so proud that you decided to do this." She answered just as seriously as she could in her sweet, soft voice, "I has to Mama, it's yugly."
I seriously had never noticed that she said yugly before that. I'm not sure she had much occasion to use the word before. Anyway, after that night she put her hand socks on every night and quit sucking her thumb within a couple of weeks. All by herself.
Score another one for female vanity.
My baby's thumb was not ugly. Yugly however fit. So yugly was added to my vocabularly for whenever the harsh word of ugly is a bit too much for me. In other words yugly is a softer version of ugly. In my dictionary anyway. Just like little babies don't get sleepy they get fweepy. As in a softly spoken "I fweepy, Mama." Thanks to that same little girl. My first Girlie.
Got any special words in your vocabulary?



No comments:
Post a Comment