Tuesday, January 25, 2011

In the Kitchen - Cornbread Pie

Making Steven's Chicken Enchiladas got me to thinking about all the great cooks in my family.  So I pulled out the Byrd Family Cookbook compiled by my cousin Nancy and went through it once more.  Actually I have it on my computer so I just scrolled through it.  I decided that I would like to try making a dish that I had never made before from each person that contributed.  I miss family cooking.

The first recipe I tried came from my Aunt Moree because 1. I had all the ingredients 2. it sounded like something M would like and 3. the name amused me.  A cornbread pie?  I  think I've discussed before that it doesn't take much to amuse someone who lives on the top of a Hill away from all known civilization and society.

Aunt Moree was my mother's older sister.  Not oldest, that would be Aunt Wilma.  Aunt Moree was next in line for the sisters.


Very pretty, right?  She called us all "Sugar" in her sweet Texas drawl and it sounded like "shugah."  When she said it you felt like you were the only one that she ever called that.  She always wore a dress with just the right accessories and when she was in the kitchen she always wore an apron over that dress.   Such a beautiful, loving lady.  Within an hour of us arriving at our Mama's house in Texas, Aunt Moree would be there, usually bringing food, most probably something sweet; she was an awesome cook!



Cornbread Pie
Moree Tidwell
1 lb. ground beef
1 lg. onion, chopped
1 can tomato soup
2 c. water
1 t. salt
1/4 t. pepper
1 c. whole kernel corn
1 T. chili powder
1/2 c. chopped green pepper
3/4 c. cornmeal
1 T. all purpose flour
1 T. sugar
1 1/2 t. baking powder
1 egg
1/2 c. milk
1 T. melted shortening


Sauté ground beef and onion until brown. Add soup, water, 1/2 t. salt, pepper, corn, chili powder and green pepper. Simmer for 15 min; place in lightly greased 1 1/2 qt. casserole. Combine cornmeal, flour, sugar, 1/2 t. salt and baking powder. Mix well with milk, egg and shortening. Spoon cornbread topping over meat. Bake at 400 degrees for 25 min.

This recipe was delicious.  I was kind of surprised at just how good it was because the base was basically tomato soup.  It didn't taste like it.  I did make a couple of small changes.  I added 1/2 can of black beans that I had in the fridge and also a bit of Mrs. Dash's Southwest Chipotle Pepper seasoning.  Just to give it a bit more kick.  As you can see, I also served it sprinkled with shredded cheese and a dollop of sour cream.

M does not rave over cooking at all.  His biggest compliment is "You can make this again anytime you want to."  Aunt Moree's Cornbread Pie got that comment, twice.

I'm quite sure I will.

1 comment:

  1. This sounds really good. If my tummy settles down, I may try it. Right now about the only thing I can eat in there is ground beef and water! I have such wonderful memories of Aunt Moree. She really was a special lady!

    ReplyDelete