I actually followed the recipe exactly except I did not measure my maple syrup. I just dumped some in a bowl and basted from there. This was probably the best roasted pork loin we've ever eaten. The sauce and the sweet potatoes were both awesome and I almost can't wait to have it again!
You can probably tell by the quality of the photo that I forgot to take a picture of mine. My roast looked like this though, I just didn't have the gleaming dining room table with pretty flowers and candles in the background. Only because my dining room table is a storage center for remodeling stuff otherwise I would have had the gleaming table and flowers in the back ground. Yeah, right.
![]() |
| photo courtesy of Bev and food.com |
Maple Glazed Pork Roast with Sweet Potatoes
4 1/2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1/4 cup pure maple syrup
4 lbs sweet potatoes
3 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
1 Preheat oven to 350°F.
2 Pat pork dry and season generously with salt and pepper.
3 Sprinkle center of a flameproof roasting pan with 1/2 tablespoon flour.
4 Set pork on flour in pan and roast in middle of preheated oven 40 minutes.
5 Brush pork with some maple syrup and roast, brushing with maple syrup every 10 minutes, until a thermometer inserted 2 inches into center of meat registers 155°F, 20 to 25 minutes more.
6 While pork is roasting, peel potatoes and cut into 1 1/2-inch pieces.
7 In a kettle cover potatoes with salted cold water by 2 inches and simmer until tender, about 15 minutes.
8 Drain potatoes in a colander set over a large bowl and reserve 3 cups cooking water.
9 Return potatoes to kettle and mash with a potato masher, or purée in a food processor.
10 Season potatoes with salt and pepper and keep warm.
11 Transfer pork to a platter and let stand, loosely covered with foil, 10 minutes.
12 While pork is standing, skim fat from pan juices.
13 In a small bowl make a beurre manié by kneading together butter and remaining 4 tablespoons flour until smooth.
14 Add 1 cup reserved cooking water to roasting pan and deglaze over moderately high heat, stirring and scraping up brown bits.
15 Add remaining 2 cups cooking water and any juices that have accumulated on platter and bring mixture to a boil.
16 Whisk in beurre manié and simmer sauce, whisking, until thickened to desired consistency, about 2 minutes.
17 Pour sauce through a fine sieve into a sauceboat.
18 Slice pork and serve with sweet potatoes and sauce.
19 Serves 6 to 8.
I have to admit, though I have used this method of kneading the butter and flour together before to thicken sauces, until this recipe I had no idea that it was called beurre manié. And you know what? I still don't know how to say it.
K? Though there are a lot of directions this was super easy. Basically, you plop the roast in a roasting pan, and baste it with the maple syrup while it roasts. It took a little over an hour and it was done. The roast did not need the sauce it was scrumptious without. (though the sauce was very yummy) Very easy, even for someone who does not like to cook.
Don't you think this would make a great holiday meal?

No comments:
Post a Comment