![]() |
| Welcome to my reality. |
![]() |
| mamamarie, this is a disaster |
But still, a desk for a centerpiece? Over a holiday even? As soon as the paint was dry enough, I got J to help me move it to its spot in Meme's Place.
I walked into the kitchen that seemed so much bigger without a desk for a centerpiece on the table thingy. I started cleaning up. J was getting ready to leave and you know what I did? Had him help me put this up on the table thingy.
This is destined for the guest room. The guest room has been buried in sewing/craft stuff. The stuff all got moved in there before I completed the guest room. But it's almost empty now so I get to finish it. This is a little desk I got when I worked at a flower/antique shop. In another life. It has pretty lines. I especially like the legs.
This little thing needs some serious help though. It's been stripped and poorly restained in an orangey oak color but it isn't oak. It's come apart at some point and someone put it back together with huge screws that they didn't bother to sink, much less fill. I think the top of the hutch has been replaced and the curved piece added on. At some point the desk top split apart and someone tried filling it in with wood filler. The piece shifted and the filler broke apart but stayed in the crack. A big crack, with ugly white filler against the oak stain. That definitely needed something done to it. See the pink stuff in the picture above, my friend Bondo. What I am trying to gently explain, this is a good candidate for paint. Black paint again, because I have it. Besides, black is almost taking it back to it's oringinal color. The back was never stripped.
I love the panels on the back. It was not really black, just a very dark stain.
Now if you love wood furniture, don't hate me. Because now it is black.
If you look close at the leg in the following picture, you can see a bit of the distressing I'm doing on it.We think the curvy piece that goes across the back was added at some time. Do you really think the lines of it go with the rest of the desk? I don't but I like the whimsical touch it adds.
This is how the curvy piece is attached to the legs.
There are big black wood screws at each end. The black paint has camoflauged them a bit. I have loved the little quirks of this desk but I have to admit I like it better black. I've never really liked the orangey tone they used on it.
Now, a taller black desk is the new centerpiece for my kitchen table. I apparently like desks as centerpieces for my kitchen table. So I ask you, what is wrong with me?
Seriously, it's done except for new handles and as soon as possible, it's going to the guest room. The whole point of getting it up there and done was to get it out of the way in the construction zone. Of course, I'll need help to get it moved and for that I will have to wait. ack.
As soon as it's moved though, cabinet doors are taking it's place. The cabinet doors will be a nice change of centerpiece as I decorate the above pictured room for the holidays.








No comments:
Post a Comment