Friday - Turkey Sandwiches.
Saturday - Potato Soup with Turkey Sandwiches.
Sunday - Leftover Turkey and Dressing with all the works.
Monday - Turkey Pie with baked sweet potatoes
M loves turkey. If it is in the fridge, he'd just as soon keep eating it and then bake another before it is gone. Yes, we do bake turkeys at random times all year long. Even though I do not love turkey as much as M. It's just something you do when you're married. Right? After 39 years of marriage and turkeys, I have learned to do at least a hundred and one things with it. However, yesterday afternoon when I thought about dinner, the thought of turkey again was just not appealing. At all. So I went far from it and got out a package of ground beef. And froze the rest of the turkey.
Back to dinner. I took stock of what I had and needed to use in the fridge. An old habit learned from Mother, the LeftOver and Use It Up Queen. Had some cottage cheese that needed to be used because I can not eat a whole container before it goes iffy. M does not like cottage cheese. Some mozzarella cheese, same thing. I remembered reading a recipe for a dish that layered zucchini, tomatoes and cheddar cheese on top of ground beef. Had the sliced zucchini in the freezer and tomatoes in the crisper. Could not find that recipe for the life of me. I did remember that they did not spice up the beef and was thinking it sounded like it needed it. So I winged it.
This is what I came up with and this is what I called it because I couldn't think of anything else. I cook, I don't write. Oh wait, I do now, sort of. Though this is still more like talking to myself. Are you out there? Anyone? Alternate suggestions for names would be appreciated.
Zucchini Bake
1 onion
1 garlic clove, minced
1 can of mushrooms ( fresh would be better, using what I have)
1 c cottage cheese
1 c stewed tomatoes
1/3 c Parmesan cheese
1 t Italian spices (use a blend or mix your own)
salt and pepper to taste
2 c sliced zucchini
1 tomato, sliced
garlic pepper
1 1/2 c grated mozzarella cheese
Chop 1/2 of the onion and slice the other half. Brown ground beef with chopped onion, garlic and mushrooms. Add spices and saute slighlty. Stir in cottage cheese and stewed tomatoes. I squished my tomatoes. (with my hands) Cook until almost boiling; stir in Parmesan cheese.
Oil casserole with olive oil. Spread half the meat mixture in bottom of dish. Place half of the sliced zucchini on meat and sprinkle with garlic pepper. Place half the sliced onions and then half the tomatoes on zucchini and sprinkle with garlic pepper. Top with half the mozzarella cheese. Repeat layering in the same way with the other half of meat mixture, zucchini, onions and tomatoes.
Bake in 375 degree oven for 30-40 minutes. Top with remaining cheese and bake another 10-15 minutes or until slightly browned and yummy looking.
This would be a good time to say I don't measure my spices. I start with a small amount and keep tasting till it's right for us. So if anyone actually wants to try this, that is what I would recommend doing since I'm guestimating on the amounts I used.
Just let me tell you briefly about our beef while I'm at it.
My Girl bought a side of beef from this ranch and we split it with her. This beef is some of the best I have ever eaten and the ground beef is the best! If you live anywhere near I highly recommend them.
The Zucchini Bake stuff was really good. Seriously good. Like in I wanted to lick the pan when I froze the rest good. Does anyone else do that? Not lick the pan. Cook twice as much as you need so you can freeze the rest. For those nights when you don't want to cook. Or for those times when the 34 year old son walks up the Hill to scrounge for some good food instead of ramen noodles.
I am still waiting and hoping for someone to send me a recipe to share. Come on, just send me the recipe and I will do the rest. New Jersey, I was counting on you. Or K, how about that Italian Beef recipe I've been wanting forever.
Disclaimer: I take my own pictures with a little Canon PowerShot. They are taken as I'm doing whatever I write about. For example, that plate of food up there? That was my dinner plate. The beef? Was taken out the freezer and laid on a dish towel next to my computer. Then put back in the freezer. It's hard to take good pics of food! I make no claims and have no desire to be a great photographer much less a professional one. I have one of those in the family and she won't come take my photos for me. Darn!


Get a roast. Wash it. Put it in a crock pot. Dump a can of beer on it. Sprinkle it with italian seasoning. Dump in a jar of pepperocinis. Cook on low 6 to 8 hours. Can be served on a roll with a jar of Hunt's brown gravy. (preferably heated).You got your first recipe!
ReplyDeleteThis is not the recipe that we had at your house that time is it? I thought it was complicated! It was so good and this is all there is to it? Seriously? And how are you?
ReplyDeleteOf course the tought part for me would be getting the beer. Send me one.
ReplyDeleteYep, it's that simple. I probably wanted you to think it was harder to impress you. Remember this is me - I only cook easy things!Cooking is not fun!I have had people tell me they have substituted beef broth for the beer. I think it would alter it a little bit, but problem would be solved. I have also had people tell me that IF you can find a wet county in the south you can probably buy beer by the bottle in a gas station!
ReplyDeleteI googled it after I read it and found an actual recipe and was so suprised! The recipe was even simpler, they used a packet of good seasons Italian salad dressing and just dumped it all together! Our county is now wet and we do have singles at the gas station. That would however involve driving down off my Hill and into town and seeing people. Send me one please.
ReplyDelete