Meme's Place, part 1
Things have been moving a bit slow at the House on the Hill. As in not moving at all. I get projects to the point where I can't do anything more until M does something for me. And then I wait. I am not complaining about M not doing things because the only reason he doesn't do them is because he is working on something else. Constantly. Like a car or a van or a tractor or J's house or a rental house or the land or................you get the idea. Of course that is in addition to the job that pays our bills. The one that takes about 12 hours a day from him.
So for the last few weeks I have been waiting. Waiting to have lumber cut that is either too large for me or cut in a way that I can't do. For example, I don't rip boards. The pull or push of a saw tends to be stronger than I am, the board moves and isn't ripped straight. So, I have been waiting to have some trim ripped. I will continue to wait too, because I like my fingers too much. Having fingers makes life so much nicer.
Another example, a 4'x8' sheet of 5/8" plywood is too large and heavy for me to handle. So I've been waiting to have plywood cut. I may have tried it when I was younger and stronger and healthier. But not now. I want to continue to move without pain. Being able to move makes life so much nicer.
I've also needed to have some heavy boxes moved. So I've been waiting to have boxes moved. I don't move heavy boxes for the same reason. I really enjoy walking without pain. Walking makes life so much nicer.
A couple of weekends ago I think M finally realized how long I had been waiting and how many times I had asked. So he did everything that was on my waiting list! Without my having to throw a hissy fit even! That is so good because I really do not like to throw hissy fits. Not having hissy fits also makes life so much nicer.
After he got my wood cut, I almost finished my work/sewing table that day. Almost.
It started with these, there are 2 just like this. They were dingy white but I forgot to take a picture of the before. Just imagine, at least 10 year old dingy paint, not old enough to be beautiful chippy and weathered. Just dingy.
Once upon a time, they were one, joined by a top. It was a student desk in My Girl's room when she a young girl still living with us. A long time ago. I'm not sure it ever got used as a desk because she always did her homework on her bed or at the kitchen table. When she left home I removed the top and made the 2 pieces into night stands. They were very cute night stands!
My Girl and I like to swap furniture. So something that is at my house now, may be at her house next month or vice versa. These little night stands have made the trip between her house and my house several times. (we ignore all disgusted comments from menfolk about revolving furniture) They came back to my house last year when she moved again and they have been in storage every since. Nobody wanted them anymore. When I began to think about a work surface for my room I thought of them sitting, so lonely in the storage building. They were perfect for what I wanted to do.
We gave them that new coat of glossy black paint. I say we, because K helped paint these while she was here for my Fabulous Birthday. They got the fun new knobs then too. Six different ones but all black and white and all fun.
We also moved them into the sewing room while she was here. And there they have sat. Waiting. For a top. To make them one again.
I modpodged fun liners on the bottom of the drawers. While they waited. For a top. To make them one again.
I cut 3 2'x4's and laid across them. While they waited. For a top. To make them one again.
I painted the front 2'x4' white. While they waited. For a top. To make them one again.
Finally M cut the plywood. For a top. To make them one again.
Within an hour, I had a coat of glossy alabaster white paint on the top and realized that the front 2'x4' needed to be painted black instead of white. So off came the top and I repainted the 2'x4' black.
By noon, I had 3 coats of paint on the top. Then we started assembling the top. To make them one again.
We ran out of screws.
So, I waited a bit more. But not for long, because I can buy screws! I got screws the next morning and finished attaching the top myself. Then I attached quarter round moulding under the edge of the top with my trusty brad nailer. All the trim and the edge then got a coat of the black paint too.
Then the screw holes were filled in with our old friend Bondo. I did have to wait for M to do that, I haven't mastered the art of Bondoing yet. After another wait, he did it and then I sanded with my much loved friend Ryobi.
Then a final coat (or 3 or 4) of creamy white paint on the top and the edge trimmed out with screen moulding painted black. With mitred corners! I was able to do all this, so no waiting.
My awesome, finished sewing/crafting table! Hello, beautiful machines, I have missed you. Get ready to do lots of fun stuff, starting with some Christmas presents.
So what do you think should go above the table? Shelves? Pegboard or bulletin board thingy? I will have space to hang above my cutting table too. I'm leaning towards shelves to put baskets with my serger thread, other stuff and a few Girlie photos. I also have a thread holder that my Pop made. So maybe staggered shelves, the thread holder and an idea board about the size of the thread holder?
This was about TWO tables, remember? Meet my gorgeous, full of fun cutting table.
K hand painted the diamonds, all by herself.
I'm going to put casters on it to make it easy to move when I need it open. We have a shelf cut to put under it too, for baskets for cutting tools and such. It's waiting to have half circles cut into it's corners. At least I call them half circles in my world. In M's world they are called tangents.
My Girl painted the dots on
and I added the beaded tassel, just for fun. I was going to make my own but found this on a clearance rack for a buck.
K also pinked my chair while she was here
and then I added the green and the black polka dots.
I have two of these chairs, meet the ugly stepsister.
I have an office chair that I use at my sewing/crafting table and I didn't think the room needed 3 chairs in it so we didn't paint it. Now that I have the table positioned like I want, I realize there is plenty of room for the second chair on the other side. Besides, if the 2 big GrandGirlies want to craft, I NEED 2 pink chairs! So, weather permitting, tomorrow Ugly gets pinked and then they will get cushions of some sort.
This is one part of my Meme's Place, hopefully I will post the other side in a day or two. In the mean time this is what it looks like now.
The tables are the perfect helpers to get my fabric refolded, organized and in the closet.
Hope to get most of it in there by tomorrow night.....gotta go fold and stack!
























No comments:
Post a Comment