Meme's Place - part 1a
After I showed my tables and that part of my sewing room I had a brainstorm. They don't happen real often anymore so I took advantage of the happening right away. I went shopping for stuff for the walls down at the Little Old House. J is living in the Little Old House right now while he is doing some work on his house. I don't really like to barge in and take stuff from him. Too often. The Little Old House didn't have cabinets and closets. So I put up LOTS of shelves. I thought maybe there might be some that he wasn't using. Too much. I found TWO that had nothing at all on them. They came back up to the House on the Hill with me and I pulled all this out
and marked the lines where I wanted them
and then could not make myself drill holes in my pretty wall. I asked M to do it for me. I figured if I did it, I would miss the studs and probably end up with about 22 holes in the wall.
He missed the studs. Twice. I was relieved it wasn't 22 times.
Then I pulled out my Mother's thread holder that Pop had made. My Pop did love him some Eastern Red Cedar.
But Eastern Red Cedar does not entirely match the decor in my Meme's Place. Okay, so maybe not at all.
If any of my brothers or anyone else is reading this that just absolutely loves Eastern Red Cedar and my Pop's things made out of it, scroll past the next picture real fast. I mean super fast. Because this is what I did to it.
I think it looks awesome, I'll probably change the ribbon when I unpack some more. I know I have a wide black satin with white dots that I'd love on it, but this will do till then.
I hope Pop doesn't haunt me in my dreams. Just in case - I'm sorry Pop, but you know it had to match. Because this is me after all, the daughter that your wife drilled about color coordination when she was small. Because there was just one girl in ALL those boys for so long. And do you think the boys would have listened about color coordination? Well, maybe that next to the last one did. That many boys was your doing you know. So that works it around to your fault that I had to paint it. Whew, that makes me feel better.
So here is the table with the wall above it that I did from stuff I already had. I'm lovin' it. Lots. I also loved the cost.
Here are some close ups. All this stuff was in my sewing/office nook in the Little Old House so the pink and black color scheme was kind of a given for this room. The walls were white down there, I am amazed how much prettier the stuff looks against the green!
My button jars are Wally World salsa jars. They come with black lids and I just used a permanent marker to color the print on them. One of the baskets has my serger thread in it, the other one is still empty. I'll fill it.
A canning jar caddy for pencils, pens and paint brushes, the cool box I got one time on clearance at TJ Maxx or maybe Ross
and Mother's little button doll. If I remember right, my Aunt Sally gave it to her. The memories of the two of them together make me smile and feel like the world is such a special place.
A pink basket for my machine needles and a couple of special photos.
That is GrandGirlie#1 sitting on my lap while I am sitting at my sewing machine as I make something for her. The other is her first Christmas and the dress I made her. She wasn't quite walking by herself yet!
On the table itself is a caddy that went to the spray paint table at the same time the thread holder did and a pin dish I made from a little dish I bought at TJ Maxx for a 1.99. The caddy looked like this at the Little Old House
I painted the battered suitcase too but it was too wide for the shelves. I'll find a spot for it!
The little dish looked like this
It's cute but I know me and I know I need a magnetic pin holder. I have an ugly plastic one but I thought it would be cute to make this magnetic. So I cut a circle out of a self adhesive magnetic sheet and stuck it in the middle. Easy peasy pin holder!
Here is the caddy and the pin dish now.
![]() |
| Anybody got any ideas for how to camoflauge cords? |
I decoupaged scrapbook paper on the ends of the caddy. I want to put something on the side. Words maybe, like Sew What? or maybe my monogram. Any suggestions?
I know I will be adding more to the wall but Meme's Place is starting to come together and I love it.....makes me want to go sit down and make something right now!
Oh, just so you don't think a miracle occurred and all the fabric made it into the closet. Here is a shot across the cutting table.
There is still a huge pile of fabric to put away. Not the same pile though. This is at least the 5th pile and by no means the last. I refold and stack until I can't stand it anymore and then I take a break. I am winning. I AM winning. I am.














I have to say - my heart lurched over painting the thread holder. I have enough of my Pop in me that I wasn't sure that wasn't sacrilegious. But I love it. But I don't think I can spray mine. And I'm so stealing the idea for the pin holder. I love it! The whole thing is looking awwwwesome. The button doll brought tears. I think a big fancy K on the caddy. The cords - two solutions -drill a hole right behind each machine and pull your cord up thru there then use wire staples to tack them to the underside of the the bottom of the table so they won't be in your way. I use the end attached to the machine to go measure the hole cuz it is so much smaller. 2nd solution - you can buy white plastic cord hiders at most office supply places. I can probably get you some through my suppliers if you can't find any. Wish oh wish I was there! It's looking real purty!
ReplyDeleteK, I know. I had to bite my lip with the first spray but it truly did look awful in there! You don't need to paint yours because you have all the wood trim! I was leaning towards the K with some scrolly type stuff. I will look for those cord hiders - what a great idea. I really missed you yesterday when I was doing fun stuff. AND if you were here, twice as much fabric would be put away. I've culled one box so far!
ReplyDeleteI spent yesterday with brother B - pulling wire - it would have been a much more exciting day with you. I left at 3 because it was really nice in Long Point and I had some yard work I wanted to get done. When I got to Varna it was cold, wet and windy. So, I went to my sewing room and made two pillows, cut down and sewed Dave's shower curtain, made a window curtain for his bathroom and worked on his tp holder. A very productive day. Then I took an hour long bath and woke myself up snoring in cold water! Hate when that happens! Drywall is going up in the kitchen in Long Point. Woo hoo!
ReplyDeleteI love your room. I was just showing my mom and she is so very jealous. I think you have inspired us to reorganize her sewing room.
ReplyDeleteI love reading your blog!
Amy
When you get your room finished, would you do a post on how you organize all of your fabric, patterns, notions, etc? I would love to get some ideas from you.
ReplyDeleteI'm glad baby boy makes you smile. He makes me smile too!
Amy
Thank you Amy, and yes I will!
ReplyDeletelove your room!!!!
ReplyDeleteKathy, Your blog is wonderful. And, yes, I am jealous of your sewing room. Mine is a disaster area. Seriously. Keep posting pictures and ideas. I plan to steal them.
ReplyDelete