Today is my parent's wedding anniversary, our first without them. It was so very hard to lose them within months of each other but the thought of them together again has been a comfort to us all. Though it breaks my heart not to have them with us, I will always cherish that my brothers, my sister and I have spent our entire lives witnessing an awesome love affair...........one that spanned almost 7 decades.
August 2, 1942
True love stories never have endings. ~Richard Bach
The family is one of nature's masterpieces. ~George Santayana
Don't laugh bros, Mother thought we were all gorgeous!
Families are like fudge - mostly sweet with a few nuts. ~Author Unknown
Thought I needed a little levity, our family is all about laughter. I won't go into the particulars as to which of us is sweet.
All of this (and more) because two people fell in love. 8 children by birth, 6 children by love, 20 grandchildren, 26 great-grandchildren and 2 great-great grandchildren. (note to fam, I said nothing about natural or unnatural though I was tempted. Thought the sheer numbers called for a serious moment.)
He was a WWII soldier and she was a "Rosie the Riveter." He was an Illinois farm boy far from home, stationed in Ft.Wolters, Texas. She was a rather sheltered Texas beauty living in a mansion that had been made into dorms for the riveters. It was a blind date arranged by friends, she walked down a huge winding staircase to meet him. He watched her coming towards him and thought, there is the girl I'm going to marry.
Within 2 months he did.
The most important thing a father can do for his children is to love their mother.~ Henry Ward Beecher.
Oh, how he loved her and she him! I am still awed by it to this day. We grew up surrounded and enfolded in that love through the worst of times and the best of times.
God gave us memories that we might have roses in December. ~J.M. Barrie
I will always have the most beautiful of roses in December.
You will live on in our hearts forever.








No comments:
Post a Comment