Remember I started on the guest room? M was not real happy with my drywall skills so he has taken over and doing it in his own way. So, while waiting to get my chance at painting in there, I decided to go ahead and do the guest bath. It was dismal. Dark and dismal. It's painted the same warm tan color of the living room and dining room but in that small space without natural light, it was not so warm looking.
I decided I didn't want to mess with fixing the cracks in there (and thus having to wait for M) soooooooo..........I added more strips using the ones I had taken off of the other rooms. White ones, grayish mauve ones, grape print ones all added to the tan ones already in the room. Meet my multicultural bathroom.
The idea is for it to look like board and batten, when it's all one culture that is.
Before painting began, the crown moulding had to come down. (see, it's gone in the pics above) Why? Because it matches the trim in the living room and rather than replace all the living room trim we decided we could replace the trim in the small bathroom with white trim and use the bathroom trim to fix the trim in the living room. Besides, it is so much easier to paint if you are not worrying about trim. So the trim came down....very easily too. I was so glad we decided to do that. Evidently the house shell is built first and then the inside walls are built. The top rail of the inside wall does not go all the way to the ceiling. There is a gap covered by the crown moulding. (see the picture above again) The top rail is tied into every ceiling joist with what looks like lag screws, we are guessing it's done so the walls "float" a little when the house is moved. Anyway, the gap at the top is a perfect little runway for those little gray critters that come in from the forest (here) and fields (Sister K's) when it's cold. This is what came out of the gap.
EEEEWWWWW!
This is what we did to the gap and will now do all through the house. We do not want these gaps to be misconstrued as an invitation to those little gray critters that come in from the forest (here).
Then I washed down everything, thoroughly. And then wiped it with clear water. I promise, I did.
My freshly scraped ceiling got a fresh coat of white paint and I started priming the multicultural walls before they become their final culture.
Disaster strikes. I really, really did wash everything and then rinsed it too! The walls had felt slightly sticky, like a cleaner had been sprayed on them and not wiped off. Even after my washing and rinsing this still came through.
The primer did not come off in these streaks it just looked different. So I crossed my fingers and primed them again.
It worked!
Then fun time! Finally I got to put paint on a wall and this bathroom joined the Pale Celery culture.
I like the Pale Celery and the board and batten look. A lot! Can't wait to get the trim back up and a mirror and a shower curtain and.............................












I love the look. And what a great use of recycled material! I can hardly wait to see the white molding. It is screaming for it. Did you take the popcorn off the ceiling in there? What color shower curtain? Something botanical? I think Kohl's has one that would look wonderful. You're getting really close to being able to decorate this room. Sooooooooooo exciting!
ReplyDelete