Since what to do about my faucet is still causing dizzy circles in my head, I thought I'd just make it a little more dizzy like and circle back to Mother's Day. Mother's Day was just around the time I ended up with no computer and no internet. But, I did have one, a Mother's Day that is. A very nice one. And what in the world does my faucet have to do with Mother's Day? It was one of my gifts!
Along with this
and these.
Well, maybe just the step ladder and not the sander. Didn't M do great though! I told him that too. After I had gone shopping, brought them home and showed them to him, I said "Look what you got me for Mother's Day honey, you did good." He answered, "Wow, I did do good. But there must be some mistake because I'm pretty sure I did not buy you that sander. It has a cord on it."
He won't buy me any gift that has a cord on it. Why, you ask? Because of our first Christmas together, almost 39 years ago. We had been married a little over 3 months. I was working and he was going to school. Money was pretty tight.....I learned to be real creative with hot dogs and hamburger. One package of hot dogs could make 5 meals and one pound of hamburger could make 4 meals! Anyway, our little tree had 2 presents under it. One for me and one for him. Christmas morning I opened my gift and found one of these. Only I'm pretty sure it was a plain old white one and not this cool blue one.
I was young, just barely 19. But so was he, we were almost babies when we got married. Tears hit my eyes before I could think not to let them. My first thought was not what it would have been now. My first thought then was "My only Christmas present is an IRON, poor me." Now I would think, "Wow, he noticed that we didn't have a good iron and I was using an old one of my mother's that spit water and heated sporadically, making it very difficult to iron. So he got me a new iron to make things a little easier for me, even if it is not the coolest of presents." Of course, he also noticed the tears. Again, in the way of a 19 year old, he got upset and swore "never to buy you anything with a cord again." And he hasn't. Even though I've had this on my "Perfect Gift List" for years. Cobalt blue though.
To go with this beauty that he got me several years back. But not as a gift, because it has a cord.
Isn't her color gorgeous, she matches my blue glass collection that I may get to unpack someday. My Girl has a white one and she keeps trying to get me to swap. Um, nope.
M earned this cobalt beauty with way too many nights away from home, in way too many big cities for way too long. Love them hotels that give card carrying members points to purchase things with! And love that man because he does things like that. Earns all those points with loneliness and then hands me the catalogue. One of these days I know I will find the coveted food processor on my cabinet. But it won't be a gift, because it has a cord.
M earned this cobalt beauty with way too many nights away from home, in way too many big cities for way too long. Love them hotels that give card carrying members points to purchase things with! And love that man because he does things like that. Earns all those points with loneliness and then hands me the catalogue. One of these days I know I will find the coveted food processor on my cabinet. But it won't be a gift, because it has a cord.
I can't finish this post without sharing my very favorite Mother's Day present. M's too. I got this in portrait size from My Girl. She made me think of it today when I visited The Little Yellow House and it inspired me to write this post.
Because this is such a good way to tell her that I want it's mate, the one she posted today. In the approprate size, of course.
The Perfect Gift. No cord.








No comments:
Post a Comment