Yesterday I shared my bargain countertops and the backsplash tile. Remember all of this together?
In my fabric stash, I have this bolt of botanical print fabric. I have had it for awhile, at least a couple of years.
It's a gorgeous drapery/light upholstery weight cotton/linen blend. I bought it just because I loved it. I love botanical prints and I loved all the colors combined with the natural linen color. I hoped I would have a place for it someday. (if anyone knows of a support group for fabric addicts, please let me know - because, My name is Kathy and yes, I do buy bolts of fabric for unspecified projects) I think my kitchen is it. The linen color will be great with everything else I've bought and this is a good way of bringing other colors that I love into the room. Though I did wonder about the glass tiles with it. What do you think? Is it too much together?
Of course, they won't be right next to each other, the tile is only going between the cabinet and the countertop. I'll have to get My Girl to come South and give me her opinion.
This one sort of shows the purple cast in a few of the tiles.
I'm not sure exactly how or where I will use the fabrice. I know I would love to center a different flower on each of the cushions that will go on the stools for the island seating and I have to have at least 3. One for each GrandGirlie.
Maybe a valance over the sink and maybe pillows or a throw for the family room part. Any ideas?
A few weeks back I was again in the orange home improvement store for something. I'm not sure what, but it was not more plumbing stuff. Anyway, I again did my usual check of the aisles for the Need Stuff list. I found this!!!!!!!
(photo courtesy of GE - mine's still in the box)
This is the cooktop I had planned to buy in a few months. New models were in and old models were out.....on clearance. Half price clearance. AND it was one of those weekends when the orange home store had all their appliances at 10% off. Yes, I got 10% off the already half price! But there was only 1 left. I snatched this beauty up so fast that I almost knocked the cart or as it's known in this part of the deep south, the buggy over. (Actually I had to get help to get it into the cart and I hovered over it so no one else would see it until the help got there, K you would have loved it.)
I had planned to buy the cooktop in white though, not stainless steel. The price convinced me otherwise. I saved over $700.00, for that I can be flexible. But, this has posed a new problem for me. I had bought this for the kitchen sink.


It's rubbed bronze and where it's rubbed, it gleams copper. Very pretty. For a faucet. I want a white porcelain sink. I don't think there is much room for change with this idea but I could be wrong. I have never had a stainless steel sink that I really liked. I have to admit they were probably all, well let's just say, less expensive ones. I don't think it would look good to have JUST the cooktop stainless steel with the sink and other appliances white and the faucet rubbed bronze. Add to that, these are the knobs and the pulls for the cabinets I had planned to use. The color is actually the darker look that is on the cabinet, it looks a lot like the faucet.
If I continue with my original plan, the cooktop kind of screams, "I WAS PURCHASED ON CLEARANCE" and will make the kitchen look hodgepodgish. (ok, it's my blog and I can use the words that are in my brain - I don't think TJ reads this anyway) Even if I did get it on clearance, I don't want that to be the statement the island makes. What? Your appliances and cabinetry don't talk to you?
I thought maybe find a stainless steel sink I liked, go ahead and use the rubbed bronze for the hardware and then get the new appliances in stainless steel? Not sure how this would look though and google couldn't find an image of this at all, soooooooo. Besides, new appliances may be quite awhile. I will eventually get the new fridge and ovens but until then they stay white and I live with it. (all of this is expensive even if I find bargains, but not near as expensive as doctor stuff)
The other option is to go ahead and get the white sink and return my lovely faucet and hardware and get them in the brushed nickel which is really lovely too.
Then I would probably get the fridge and ovens in white. Or everything in stainless/brushed nickle? The color of these cabinets is a LOT like mine.
Are these ideas to matchy matchy as My Girl says? I really love the rubbed bronze stuff with everything else, but I really am flexible. I do like the brushed nickel though and think it would look good too. Opinions on good stainless steel sinks? White appliances vs stainless steel? Oh, I just remembered we have a fairly new dishwasher down at the Little Old House that will be moved up here during the redo BUT the range hood will be stainless steel. I'm beginning to feel like Scarlett "What shall I do?" Soooo, ideas anyone? I'm beggin' for help here.
Then there is this thought that keeps running around in this already confused brain of mine. If the granite is very dark brown do I want the island painted really dark? Would it look like a big black box in the middle of the kitchen? So maybe the island a medium, taupish, grayish brown and use that color for the glaze on the cabinets. With the white sink and the brushed nickel or............here comes Scarlett again, "I can't think about that right now. If I do, I'll go crazy. I'll think about that tomorrow." HELP!
















Well Scarlett....you have lots of decisions to make! You asked for comments so I'm gonna make some!
ReplyDeleteLove, love, love what you have picked out and think that the fabric will really tie everything together. What is cabinet glazing? I have painted cabinets...and they are worn just like your stained ones, right where the knobs are. I like the knobs and pulls for the drawers but not sure if it really ties in with the stove top.
I really like your stove top. Even if it is stainless....I do not like stainless. It is difficult to keep clean and shows every spatter and drop of what should not be there. But for what you saved on the purchase of it, I would use it. I also have a stainless sink and don't like it either. I think that with the fabric that you selected and the counter top, I would go with....well, I don't know. Do you have really hard water (is it red to match all that red dirt?)
I think after much consideration, you should get everything (appliances and sink in white.) (what color is the dishwasher) If you just have the stove hood and stove top in the stainless it will look fine) There is a lot of light color in the back splash. So what if one thing is stainless, make the rest the same. I think the white is prettier....Paint the island with one of the taupier colors in the fabric, back splash tiles, island top colors. It will show less of little girl footprints when they are on those stools!
Everything you have selected looks like you made the decisions at the same time....I think that you could use those darker drawer pulls and knobs and it would look fine too. The countertops will have those colors in them and look nice.
Gotta go get to work....have a great day!
Josa