Wednesday, May 8, 2013

The Blues

No excuses will be made for the neglect of this lonesome little blog.  Because there just isn't any.  I really have been missing it in my own neglectful way though.

This is a prep area in my almost done kitchen.


 I use this little area almost every day now.


A few bamboo cutting boards and my knives are here. The knife block was Mother's and I will eventually transform it into something more like this.

Inspiration from House of Hepworths
 Though I will have a little more fun since mine has such cute scalloped trim.


The rooster on this side will all be sanded off too.  Just like the other cute little decorations already have been.  Even if they do remind me of a wonderful day full of laughter and chickens.

AND someday I really want cutting boards more like these.

West Elm's Cutting Boards

But only after I win the lottery.  Or marry a millionaire.  The first will happen sooner I am very sure.

I have been having so much fun unpacking some of the pretty things that I have collected over the years.  From here, there and everywhere.  Whenever we travel, something cobalt blue usually comes home with me.  And quite often when I'm not traveling too.  These gorgeous blues have been in boxes for years waiting for their new home.



See all those pretties.  Just look closer though.


I know you are thinking, "She could have dusted before she took the pic!"  This is the day after I unpacked one my boxes of shiny blue things and set them on my nice, new, deep window sill.  Then left the window behind them open all day and the next.  This is the way it looks during pollen season around here. 


Thank goodness for dishwashers.  The plague of the yellow dust did not take away any of the joy of finding almost forgotten treasures like the little pot that I keep fresh garlic in.

 

It was bought in a small potter's shop on a side street off of Princes Street in Edinburgh, Scotland.


I'll write about that someday because there has been a post running around in my head since I unpacked it.

Today I will tell you about the bigger pot, she is an onion pot.  I was told by her creator that she keeps onions fresh longer with her little slitted openings.  And the small heart cut outs.  Those are why I know she is a she.


We bought her at a street fair in New Orleans, the first time we ever went there. M and I wandered the streets hand in hand and just gawked looked and looked.  The potter that made my onion pot had a wheel set up making pots as we watched.  I told her I loved the blue glazes she had on some of her pots but I really wanted an onion pot and none of them had the blue glaze.  She reached under the table and pulled out my onion pot and it was love at first sight.  I did not care that she had a barely noticeable flaw in her.   I loved her then and I think I love her even more now.  Her glaze is probably my favorite of all the pottery I have.  Though this photo is a little dark, the blue is closer to the color she is.



 See all the rich blues.  Isn't she beautiful!  

One thing I don't love about Miss Onion Pot is her cork top.  I was looking at it this morning and thought, "If only my dad were still here.  I would take her to him and tell him I wanted a lid that was a deep, rich, dark wood.  I know he would agree with me that my onion pot deserves it."  He would tell me that he could do that and he had just the right piece of wood for a lid and explain to me how he would do the round, tapered shape.  Or better yet,  if he didn't have the wood,  he'd say he'd been wanting to go check out this place that sells hardwood just a bit away from Palestine, or Lacon or.... and then we would have an adventuresome ride looking for hardwood.

Happy Birthday Pop!   Have decided I will miss you everyday of my life.  And that is the real reason I looked at my onion pot and thought of my dad. I will admit that pretty handmade things and  my dad tend to go hand in hand though.

The night after I unpacked these pretties I was browsing pinterest.  Which I do not do very often.  No, not me.  I promise.  In my infrequent browsing I pinned How to Build a Blue Hued Kitchen.  


Do you think I need the advice?

No comments:

Post a Comment