Monday, December 10, 2012

Happy Tree Day!

I wrote this early this morning but had an old picture that I wanted to include with it.  I have looked everywhere for it but can not find it.  I am sure it will turn up but decided to go ahead and post this without it.


My parents blessed my life from the moment of my birth.  They blessed it just by being, but also by bringing me into life with 3 big brothers waiting for me.  With the birth of my grandson, I have been able to get a small glimpse of  what it must have been like when I was born.  With a gender reversal.  I loved my big brothers in the same way my little guy loves his big sisters.

Moving in day.  Furniture soon to follow.  He so wanted to camp out with his big sisters!

With the most complete and total adoration possible.  Or so I thought.

Then on this day many years ago, after I had already left toddlerhood behind but before I could really be called a big girl, I learned what real adoration was.  My parents gifted me with a baby brother.  My very own beautiful baby doll.  And as he grew the adoration was returned.  I have such precious memories of his little hand constantly reaching for mine to help him; his face turned up to mine trusting me to guide and help him.

An old picture of Bill and I walking down the sidewalk in Long Point should be here.  We were little, all dressed up for church and holding hands.  

Wonderful memories of the sweep of his silky  black hair across his forehead, his sweet smile and his soulful eyes that even as a little man were filled with gentleness, kindness and a goodness that gave us a glimpse of the man he was to become.


Because he did become such a good man.  One of best men I know.  A man dedicated to his family


This photo is the heart of him.  Total devotion to those he loves - especially his grandbabies!
and to his community which are almost one and the same to him.
(I did say almost Bill.)


  A man who is always first to help those that need anything.

Fixing our Auntie's driveway.

 A man others turn to for wisdom and advice.  But somewhere along the way things changed between us, because I now reach for his hand to help me

Covered in drywall dust at my house!
 and I turn to him to guide me.  And, I seek his wisdom. Even across 700 miles.


So after reading this are you wondering why the title to this post is Happy Tree Day?   Mother always made our birthdays so special!  She was concerned that his birthday being so close to Christmas would get lost in Christmas.  So she made his birthday a special part of the holiday tradition in our home.  His birthday became the day to put the tree up.  With  carols filling the air and the house smelling of Christmas cookies.  When he was little I remember him being lifted to put the star on top of the tree.  In doing this Mother gave him the gift of a love for Christmas traditions that is a wonder to behold. 

Here I am surrounded by boys and see there he is right next to me.
 
This is one of the small traditions that I carried over to my own small family.
At our house, Uncle Bill's birthday was Tree Day! 

Happy Tree Day Uncle Bill!


Happy Birthday little brother, I love you so!

No comments:

Post a Comment