This has been an unusual winter on the Hill. It has snowed
and snowed more.
This really is unusual for us.
Yesterday was a more normal winter day. Cold but not frigid, kind of gloomy, with damp air and a bit of fog.
I love being snug in my house, looking out and seeing the misty, foggy hills across the valley.
But I had to go to town and it wasn't till I was driving back home that I realized that the bit of fog was actually low clouds nestled on my Hill.
Seeing this made me realize that I actually love these gloomy days so I took advantage of the forced outing and went for a drive on into my valley just to see a bit more than I usually do. This little curvy road into the valley is why my Girlies say "Meme's house is in the trees." It used to be "twees." I miss that.
This is the river that thinks it's a creek that winds all through the valley. (hmmm...does that sentence remind anyone else of This is the House that Jack Built.) Right now it is swollen from the melting snow and rains and is rushing over the rocks and climbing out of its banks.
So is the little spring with no name that tumbles down off our Hill. Right now, it's pretending to be a creek instead of the cute little foot wide trickle through the rocks.
The bare, winter trees are natural sculptures against the gray skies and the mist drips off the branches in big fat plops.
I really do love these winter days as long as my house or car is warm and I don't think about the fact that I am surrounded by vast quantities of not so beautiful red mud.
This year will be the year that I finally get grass in my yard. I hope.
The end of February and the beginning of March usually bring us redbuds and early widlflowers. And we begin to feel spring in the air.
So why in the world am I planning to visit K when her back yard looks like this?
Nuts, I am. Or maybe just seriously missing my sister. And brothers.














Nuts you are and nuts we'll be - together. And honestly, the snow is not that high anymore, it's about three inches lower. And I promise we won't sit on my patio while you are here. I can't wait!
ReplyDeleteOh, how fun!! Have a wonderful visit you two!!
ReplyDeleteThe pictures are beautiful! I love the one of the tree that looks like a wiggly worm! SO cool!
I want to move to where you live! So gorgeous. I need out of this concrete jungle :0)
ReplyDelete