Sunday, February 27, 2011

Eh?

Within the next couple of years, I will enter another decade.  The one that is supposed to bring retirement with it. Though I firmly believe that age is a state of mind and you are only as old as you believe you are, sometimes one's body disagrees with one's state of mind.  Like bifocals.  If I really could rule my body with my state of mind I would not wear bifocals.  But because I really like to see where I am going and recognize people when I see them, I succumb to my body's needs and wear the hated bifocals.

This week I had occasion to discover that there may be another part of me that is weakening more than I care to admit.   My hearing.  And I am a wee bit embarassed by it.



But just a very wee bit, I have to admit I am much more amused than embarrassed.  This concerns my post about the  fire on the mountain. 

I heard Goblin's Knob.  My son tells me what was said was Gobbler's Knob.  I know he must be right, because while we have hundreds of these


 not quite pretty creatures running around in our neck of the woods.

 
I have as of yet to see

Drawing taken from Arther Spiderwick's Journal

or meet up with one of these in my neighborhood.

Photo from Spiderwick Chronicles

Though I have to admit he looks like he may be related to some of my neighbors. 

Having publicly corrected my age related error, I now have to say it doesn't matter to me.  Because I will forever look at the hill rising above my back yard and think Goblin's Knob.  And maybe someday I will run into a goblin in my woods.  If so I hope they look more like this.

Stuffed goblins based on the drawings in the book
Goblins! by Brian Froud and Ari Berk.
 
I think I may have to get this book.  Purely for research purposes, of course.

The one defining moment of "aha" that came from this little mix up was the realization that my son reads my blog.  Who new.


Hi Sweetheart, I will listen better next time.


2 comments:

  1. I think Goblins is a lot more fun than Gobblers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Marie, me too. I wish the namers that be would consult us more.

    ReplyDelete