Tuesday, November 23, 2010

In The Kitchen ~ Honey Mustard Tilapia

Last night we had fish.  Fish is not a favorite here.  Unless it's catfish fried like a Southern Catfish Place complete with Hush Puppies and coleslaw.    I keep trying to get M to like other fish so we did not have catfish, we had tilapia.  I'm not sure what I did to it was very healthy, but at least it was baked and not fried!



Honey Mustard Tilapia, Wild Rice Pilaf, Spinach w/Lemon Butter




















Honey Mustard Tilapia

4 tilapia filets
1/2 c Honey Mustard Dressing (recipe to follow)
1/2 c Panko bread crumbs
1/2 c pecans, finely chopped
1 tsp dried parsley
1/4 c parmesan cheese
1 tsp dried dill
1/2 tsp garlic powder
salt and pepper to taste

Mix the bread crumbs, pecans, parmesan cheese and seasonings together in a flat dish.

Coat the filets with the Honey Mustard and then dredge in the breadcrumb mixture, pressing in as necessary.  Try to coat them evenly.  

Bake the filets in an oiled flat pan or casserole at 400 degrees until they flake easily, about 10 to 15 minutes.

This was really good, though I liked it better than M.  Tilapia is just not catfish.  I really want to try it with chicken breasts now.  The crunchy coating just tasted like it was made for chicken!

This salad dressing is one recipe I actually do follow.  I've had it for years, since J was in high school.  A friend of his gave it to me, she worked at 0'Charley's at the time.  We love it, even when I lighten it with lower fat mayo and decrease the oil!  I also recreate their Southern Fried Chicken Salad with oven fried chicken tenders.  Yummy!


Like 0'Charley's Honey Mustard Dressing

1 c mayonnaise
1/4 c yellow mustard
1/4 c brown mustard
1/4 c honey
1/4 c vegetable oil

Whisk all together until creamy; do not beat.  I can't tell you how long this will keep in the refrigerator, it never lasts long enough around here to find out!


Since I think this is an awesome salad and just in case anyone doesn't know about it:


Like 0'Charley's Southern Fried Chicken Salad

mixed salad greens
chopped green onions
sliced mushrooms
crumbled bacon pieces
chopped tomatoes
toasted pecans, broken into large pieces
fried chicken tenders, still warm
shredded cheddar cheese
0’Charley’s Honey Mustard Dressing


This is a meal salad, so place mixed greens in appropriate dish. (in the restaurant it is served in a shallow bowl that’s at least 10” across) Sprinkle green onions, mushrooms, bacon, tomatoes and toasted pecans over greens. Cut 2 (or more) fried chicken tenders in diagonal slices and arrange on greens. Sprinkle cheese over chicken and greens, serve with Honey Mustard Dressing.

I may have to make this sometime soon!   hmmm, I could oven fry the chicken like the tilapia and.........

No comments:

Post a Comment