Friday, November 26, 2010

In the Kitchen ~ Apple Butter Pumpkin Pie

We fixed all of our traditional foods yesterday.  Turkey, stuffing, mashed potatoes and gravy, baked sweet potatoes, sweet corn, green bean casserole and cranberry sauce. 

When it came to desert, I broke tradition.  Gasp!

Just a little though.  Instead of the traditional pumpkin pie, I made this.




















Apple Butter Pumpkin Pie

  • Pastry for 9 inch pie pan
  • 1 cup apple butter
  • 1 can pumpkin
  • 1/2 c brown sugar
  • 1/3 c white sugar
  • 1/2 t salt
  • 1 t pumpkin pie spice
  • 1/2 t cinnamon
  • 3 eggs
  • 3/4 c evaporated milk
  • melted butter
  • cinnamon sugar mixture
  • whipped cream

Preheat oven to 425 degrees.  Place pastry in 9 inch pie pan, flute edges and trim crust.  Reserve trimmings.

Combine apple butter, pumpkin, sugar and spices.  Slightly beat eggs in a separate bowl; add milk .  Gradually stir egg mixture into pumpkin mixture; mix well but do not beat.   Pour into pie shell and bake for 20 minutes.  Do not forget to set the timer and then guestimate how long it has been.   

While pie is baking, roll out the trimmings from the pie crust.  Cut into desired leaf shapes.  Brush shapes with melted butter and sprinkle with cinnamon sugar.  After pie has baked 20 minutes, carefully add leaf shapes to top of pie as desired.  Do not drop 1 leaf shape on floor while doing.

Bake pie for an additional 20 minutes or until center is set.  Cover pie crust edges if needed to prevent excessive browning.  Do not burn two knuckles on your fingers when you attempt to do this.

Serve topped with whipped cream making sure you drop a generous amount on to the clean table so you can swipe it up with your finger and eat it.

I loved this and M did too after he accepted the fact that I did not make a plain ole punkin pie.  I found the original recipe on food.com and it called for 1 cup of pumpkin and 1 cup of apple butter.

I was using My Girl's home made apple butter made with very tart apples (it is so yummy!) and it overpowered the pumpkin so I added the rest of the can. 

Then it wasn't quite sweet enough, the recipe called for the brown sugar only.  I added the white sugar.  Though I don't think that would be necessary with store bought apple butter.  I'd have to just try it.

I didn't have all the individual spices from the recipe so I used the pumpkin pie spice I had and added more cinnamon because M loves cinnamon. 

The recipe also did not do the pie crust leaves.  That's all mine and I will tell you, those appley-pumpkiny-butter soaked, cinnamon sugar coated little cookie type pieces of pie crust were awesome.  I will do more next time.

   

This will definitely be one I make again!    



  

2 comments:

  1. Looks and sounds awesome! I used the old family recipe straight off the libby's can! And the leaves on mine were more like clovers cuz the only cookie cutter I could find was a flower. But it still tasted yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Of course! That is the one I've always used since I stood in the kitchen at Mother's side and made it with her. She was in my kitchen this year, was she in yours? Haven't unpacked any cookie cutters so I had to freehand mine - some of them were kind of globby! Did you make some in a dish without crust?

    ReplyDelete