This was my Mother's sewing cabinet. One of them. She got this one from a dear friend in East Texas. The one whose name I share. It's a very pretty piece but it's a bit worn and I don't need a sewing cabinet.
![]() |
| it's going to be painted black - got a little ahead of myself |
I need a computer desk for my Meme's Room. So, I am going to change this into a pretty computer desk. I hope.
The first step was to take it apart. I'm going to reuse the top pieces, reposition the front and try to put in a couple of more drawers. Though they may end up being openings for baskets to slide into.
My first snag. The plan was to put another panel/leg on about 10 inches over so that I have a compartment for my computer's tower to slide into. I was going to take the trim off the bottom of the existing panel/leg.
Just on the outside, to use as trim on the outside of the new panel. So the sides would look the same. When I started looking at how to take it off, I got a big surprise. That piece is ONE solid foot type piece screwed onto the panel/leg from the bottom. Hmmmm, now what do I do? I know, I say "M, help!"
Once again he fixed things for me. He ripped a piece of trim off the outside with the band saw. Very carefully and look how neat!
Of course, I had to wait a couple of weeks to get it done. Okay, so maybe a bit more than that. He's a busy man.
I also took the piece of trim off the back of the drawer side to use as the trim on the front of the new side. Understand that convoluted idea?
On the same day he ripped the trim board, M also made the other panel/leg by gluing 2 pieces of plywood together and cutting them to the right size
and he cut down the smaller piece of the cabinet's fold out leaves to use as the new side's top.
He had to do all this cutting because the sizes had to be just right. My accuracy with cutting is not reliable. Do you cut on the line or right next to it? Can't ever figure that out.
Today, assembling. I needed help with this too because more than one set of hands was needed. My plan was to attach the 2 panels together with 2"x4"'s using glue and my finish nailer to tack the sides together and then screw it all together for stability. M had another idea. He got out the Big Guy.
Yes, we added on to a piece of nice furniture with the framing nailer, plywood and 2x4's. Don't be shocked. It worked. Great even. It won't ever come apart. You won't see any of it when it is all done. The sewing cabinet was free and so far we've only used stuff we already had. That makes this desk cost nothing! So far.
The way she looks right now though? Not so pretty.

Once the glue has set up for awhile, I will attach the trim pieces, the new plywood top and the shelves. The drawers will be another day. It can be used without drawers. Next step, paint!








No comments:
Post a Comment