Thursday, September 9, 2010

Bright Spot on the Horizon

Tuesday I was kind of low.  Nothing serious, just a bit of a bummer day.  Bummer.  Do people still use that?  I do, dates me a little I guess.   Maybe it was that the heat had soared back into the upper 90's for the afternoon.  Maybe it was a let down from Labor Day weekend.  OR, maybe it was that K, her guy and my Gorgeous GodDaughter had spent their Labor Day weekend with my big brother's family in glittery Las Vegas. (okay so maybe they really don't live exactly in LV anymore. but close. real close.)
















Where they all went to  MTZ's the Famous Artist  (otherwise known as my redhead punk nephew)  newest show. Where he not only unveiled his newest paintings, but also released his first Comic Book   Naw, that couldn't be it, could it?  I'm not that petty.  MAYBE I'm just really jealous  homesick for family.















I had an early appointment in the morning and then lots of little errands.  You know the kind that HAVE to be done but aren't really any fun. At least if we want to have running water and stuff like that. 

Water Works and Sewer Board

 



So, I was out and about doing these tedious little tasks and giving myself a little lecture to remind myself to count my blessings,








































remember my priorities,












think about the checkbook, my reality























and to not be jealous homesick for family.  I mean after all, I got a pantry this weekend, more about that later.  How could glittery Las Vegas, an art show, eating out and lots of family laughter possibly compare to that?  

In the middle of this conversation between myself and me (let me tell you though, one of me sounded an awful lot like Mother!)  I saw  a bright yellow something through the trees beside the road.
























That bright spot on the horizon called to me and I followed it's siren song.  A quick u-turn and then a left turn onto the road called Crimson Tide Drive.

(and Yes! this is really right down the road from me.)

Seeking that yellow, I drove on down the road and spotted these.




Acres and acres of these.


All with their sweet faces turned away from the road, as if they were shy and didn't want to see the people going by.  Except for one little baby right in front.

She was not old enough to have learned the social mores of the rest of the crowd, so she was gently nodding and waving at every passerby.  I really wanted to take her home with me! 


Since the rest all had their backs to me, I waded into the field and forced some of them to look me in the eye.   

So pretty and happy looking! My bummer mood lifted instantly.

I don't think anyone could feel low standing in the middle of a field of sunflowers!

I'm still smiling! 

3 comments:

  1. I loved this. It was the first time I have visited this site and I will be back periodically. Love ya Barb

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh that is sooo pretty! And what a great way to raise your spirits. I love to take pictures of flowers and birds and outside stuff! Some days you do just have to count your blessings, especially those days when you are homesick for family.....keep your chin up!
    Josa

    ReplyDelete