Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Getting Started

I had fun today. I ripped dusty raspberry/mauve carpet out of the family room and master bath. After the carpet was out of the family room, I was amazed at how much bigger and brighter the room looked and it was a big bright room to begin with.


I couldn't believe what I found under the carpet. Not near as much dirt as I thought but huge amounts of carpet freshner. Unbelievable amounts. Someone must have really enjoyed fresh carpets. That's what the white splotches on the floor are and they are at least a 1/4 inch deep. eewwww

After seeing that we decided to remove the carpet from the whole house before painting. We would rather live with plywood subflooring than yucky dusty raspberry/mauve carpet.

After the carpets, the next step will be to scrape the popcorn off all the ceilings. I just don't like popcorn ceilings. I thought M would give me a bad time about the scraping but turns out he dislikes them as much as I do. I scraped off a small section and ended up with a pebbled texture look.


It makes a huge difference, so keep your fingers crossed for me that it looks this good all over. Then it will all get a fresh coat of white paint and the fun will begin.

We're starting on this room first.



It's the bedroom with the window on the front wall of the house and it will be the guestroom. It's small enough that it should go quick. Then we can move into it and work on our bedroom, which will take more work.

Just to let you know, this is what happens when you start dinner and then go sit down to work on a blog post.



Fixin' dinner and writin' blog do not mix.

2 comments:

  1. LOL....hope you got to go out for dinner ;-) What goes on the floor to replace that awful carpet? It looks so much better without it!
    Have fun with the ceilings.....who does like popcorn ceilings anyway??

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nope, didn't get to go out to dinner. Already had a casserole cooked so just opened a bag of frozen peas. The pan is still soaking. I really don't know of anyone that likes popcorn ceilings - so why do they put them in houses? It remains one of the mysteries of the world to me.

    ReplyDelete