Thursday, April 22, 2010

A Productive Day

Today was very productive.  We finally got a crew here to trim out the house, in other words, they came to finish putting the house back together.  I'm still trying to figure out why they call it "trim out" the house.



We've been waiting for them to get here for over a week.  We really couldn't start doing much in the house until they finished their work.  The cut in the drywall down the middle of the house had to be taped and mudded

and the trim put up and the doors hung on the doorways that were between the two halves.  Maybe this is why it's called trim out?




They will be back tomorrow to finish up.  They still have to fix some other cracks in the drywall/ceiling, do a few minor repairs that occurred during the move and put the siding back on the ends of the house.

While they were doing their thing, I started tearing the guest room apart. I started with the carpet.



One of the young guys asked if he could have the carpets, "If you're sure you don't want them, ma'am. I could really use them.  They's a lot better than the carpets in my rental house." I was thrilled!  So out the window it went, right to his van.  The padding too!



The carpet and the padding came up and out very easy.  The tack strips were a different matter.  One whole wall came up in 6 inch splintered pieces, the rest came up a little easier.



Next the strips came off the wall and they literally just pop off. They are put on with straight brads from a nailgun.


There was only one real bad spot, the crack is about 1/2 inch wide. M may have to help me with this one.



Now I just have to come up with something to do with the huge pile of strips I'm going to end up with.



After the strips were off, I got these very sophisticated tools out



and scraped popcorn off the ceiling.



I thought my arms were going to fall off before I was through and I think what I scraped off would fill a gallon jug!



I felt pretty good about the way it looked and thought it actually seemed to make the ceiling look higher.   When M came home he totally agreed and was amazed at the difference.  He thought it looked absolutely awesome.  It's nice when we agree during a home remodeling project. :)  He also said that he'd probably help some in the bigger areas.  My arms and shoulders say Thank You.  Why is it that working above my head is so much harder than it used to be?

While I was working on the guest room, my J came up and volunteered to help.  I put him to work in the Girlies room.  So the carpet and the padding from that room are waiting to go in the young man's van tomorrow.  The carpet strips are already in the garbage!  Thank you, J!!!



As I started mudding and taping the first drywall joint in the guest room it occurred to me that in all our years of remodeling projects, I had never done this particular thing before.  I went ahead and tried it, but it was quite obvious that I had never done this before.  So I stopped because M would only redo it anyway.  M will have to give me a lesson or two, the man is a little picky about his drywall finishing.  And that is a deliberate understatement.

Since I still had plenty of daylight left I started to tear the master bedroom apart.  J was still pulling up carpet strips in the Girlies room and I didn't want to get in his way - the master bedroom is at the other end of the house.  The strips on the grape walls came off just as easy and so did the tacky chairrail.



I was surprised to find out that the yugly gray/mauve was actually a separate panel that just pops right off. Yes!  Don't have to worry about 2 colors under my paint.



While I was working in the master bedroom M came home.  He and J went right to work and ran temporary electrical service up to the house from J's house.  I now have power and water! Sort of.  Like I said, a very productive day at the House on the Hill.

Tomorrow I buy paint. K and My Girl, I really, really wish you were here.

No comments:

Post a Comment