Friday, April 9, 2010

Stuck in the 90s, part one

After we'd made the tough decision to let the Little Old House go, (more about that later) we had to find a new house for the Gorgeous Land. We looked at several different options. At this time in our lives, we had no desire to deal with the hassle of all that is involved with building and most particularly, we had no desire to participate in today's out of sight market costs to build or to buy a kit or panelized home. By process of elimination we decided a manufactured home might be a real possibility, something we really wrestled with. Us in a doublewide? (insert laugh) After investigating the rigid standards that they are now built to, I decided to take a look at them. I started with brand new ones and was amazed and shocked. They are beautiful but you could build a new home for the price of one like we wanted - the frugal side of me said No Way! The next option was to look at used and particularly at foreclosures and that is where we found our house. For a fraction of the cost of a new home. But when you buy a foreclosure, you commit to repairs and upgrading.

So I was pleasantly surprised to walk into the living room/dining room for the first time and see it. It was in such good condition. The drywall on the walls had been taped, mudded and painted a neutral color. ~Contrary to the way things used to be, for the most part the manufactured homes of today have drywall on the walls. The outside paper is bonded to a paintable vinyl sheeting to help it resist cracking as they are moved. Thus the shiny wallboard look.~

I loved the windows and the open concept. I loved the fireplace and the nooks on the sides.  Thoughts of pretty mantles and built-ins began to stir.


It even had Wall Words! The poor trim took a beating in the move though but doesn't a fireplace need a bit more crown anyway!.


The pinkish carpet? Mmmmm not so much, it would have to go.


The Creative Force within me began to stir.

The walls in the 2 guest rooms and the sewing room had not been painted nor the tacky strips removed but they were all a very neutral off white color and all looked pretty much the same.


I could live with that until I took the time to get rid of the tacky strips and paint. The Creative Force stirred a little more.

Then I stepped into the kitchen and straight into a time machine that took me back to the War of Colors of 1995. Oh my,

deep mauve walls vs. hunter green counter tops,



add to that almost mauve but just a tad bit different almost fuchsia ceramic tiles


and a black sink. With hunter green Formica counter tops, deep mauve walls and almost fuchsia mauve ceramic tiles? What were they thinking?


And where's the faucet?


Nice range top island. But oh my, lots more almost fuchsia mauve ceramic tiles.


And what is that long thing sticking out the back covered with more hunter green Formica?


Maybe sane most  women would have said "No thanks", but I took a deep breath and looked again. Nice raised panel cabinets, real wood, pretty well made, not crazy about the color but colors can be changed or learned to live with.


Hmmmm, absoluetly NO knobs or pulls in the entire kitchen, interesting.  That leaves it open for me to pick out my own with no guilt.



Good layout with a nice amount of countertops and cabinets. A nice pantry cupboard.


I loved the window over the sink, it needed some work but the size was awesome!


The range top island could be worked with and the wall oven was okay.



AND the family room with more big, awesome windows combines with the kitchen to make one big, open, airy space.



Walls can be painted, counter tops changed, almost fuchsia tiles can be demolished and pink carpet torn out! Having no faucet, no knobs and no pulls made it easier to upgrade them without offending M's frugal side.

The Creative Force upgraded to gale level. Look out M, changes are coming to the House on the Hill.

Stay tuned for Stuck in the 90's, part 2. A look at our oh so lovely master bedroom and bath.

3 comments:

  1. What kind of floor is in the kitchen? I like the idea of a nice soft neutral sage for the kitchen. I don't know why. Maybe it is the background for your site. Even if you don't do the kitchen in sage, I think some room should be sage. If you painted the walls sage, and painted the cabinets white with a chocolate glaze - wouldn't that be awesome?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, but then you would almost have to go sage in your family room and I don't remember what your furniture looks like. Or are you going to use Mother's couch in there, but you could always slipcover it. Maybe you should stick with a nuetral beige so you can play with colors in those two rooms. But if you are going to paint the cabinets, I really like the idea of a glaze. Yep, I wish I were there too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You know, i really don't think the mauve is that bad. Maybe if you got some of that laminate paint i was telly you about and just painted the counter tops it would be livable for awhile. Because I really don't think *those* colors can be "learned to lived with".

    ReplyDelete