
All I have to say about this is - why? Didn't they do a wonderful job with their dividing line too?
Right under this beautifully painted wall is this door.

When I was viewing the house before we bought it, I noticed right away that this door did not match the rest of the doors in the house, they are all regular 6 panel doors. Was this on purpose because they wanted to make the master bedroom special? Or did the original get damaged and was replaced? I really hope it was the latter because I hate to think they did it because they thought this area was so special. You want to see just how special?
It was a bit of a relief to be leaving the almost overwhelming mauve and hunter green kitchen. The Unique Door opened into a very short hall where the relief vanished instantly when I saw this on the walls.

Yep, grapes.......fruit on my bedroom walls, fruit with lavenderish leaves.
But this room opened to the right as soon as you stepped into the little bedroom entryway.

They call this area a master suite. I have a hard time saying that without feeling slightly silly. Suites are in fancy hotels. Suites are where they have a turn down service. Suites are where they leave beautifully wrapped chocolates on your pillow. Suites are where a gift basket awaits you when you walk in the door. See, I have actually been to one or two. You know, in those days before we became Societal Drop Outs - and I will write more about that later. Suites are not where you have to make your own bed and clean your own toilet. Maybe it's just a matter of perspective but I digress.
Back to the House on the Hill and the room right inside the Unique Door. It's a small room with a big window. (I make myself laugh. This room is small but it is actually huge compared to even the biggest bedroom in the Little Old House.) The Creative Force in my mind immediately dubbed this room M's mancave.
I stepped further and into this.
Oh my, I didn't think it could be as bad as the the kitchen.....it can. Gold plastic trim on white chair railing?

What do you call that color below the chair railing? It's a grayish mauve. Did they realize when they chose that awful lower color that the upper wall paper does not really have that pinkish color in it. The colors on the leaves are really lavendery tones. Didn't they realize that lower wall pinkish color doesn't quite go with the pinkish carpet? Remember dusty apricot and dusty rose along with country blue? (Sister K. that was the 80's - I remembered) The carpet is a much brighter hue than the awful wall pink. But still muted, kind of a dusty raspberry.

Looking at the pictures, everything seems to blend. In reality it doesn't. Trust me, in person, it. really. doesn't.
But what a nice, big, airy room with THREE of these nice, big windows.

I like big windows.
Glory be! It has a WALK IN CLOSET. Who cares what color the room is, it has a BIG closet and M a mancave.
Then I strolled into the bathroom and saw that the loveliness continued with more green formica and almost fuchsia mauve ceramic tiles.
But look at all the room in here!
Look at that tub,
look at that separate shower

and look TWO sinks and a ginormous countertop.

Then I turned and totally forgot about the mauve, hunter green and grapes on the wall when I saw what was next. My mind just blanked and went WOW and immediately started adding all these together:
A LINEN CLOSET in the bathroom, (ok so maybe it's a cabinet - close enough)

a WALK IN CLOSET in the master bedroom,

a PANTRY CUPBOARD in the kitchen and a PANTRY CLOSET off the kitchen,

and NICE CLOSETS in each of the other 3 bedrooms!

Believe me you do not know how much you take closets for granted until you live without them for over 10 years. Yep, no closets, none. I believe it was then, (scarcely able to see because visions of organized closets danced in my head) that I turned to Joey, the gentleman showing me the house and said, "We'll take it."
So now you've seen my Stuck in the 90's rooms and even if they are so stuck, I LOVE them. I can't wait to get started on them. My Creative Force already has tons of ideas, so does sister K's and so does My Girl's - my color guru. I'm also hoping I can count on a bunch of girl cousins for ideas and for help making decisions. Especially P, the one that's just my age. We were attached at the hip growing up and lived just a block apart in a little town in the corn fields. And her 3 sisters. I live over 700 miles away from all of them now (except My Girl) but the internet has brought us close again, so they can all help me if they will. (Sister K. you don't have a choice and neither do you My Girl.)
But next, we have to get water and power to the House on the Hill.
that is truly awful. words just can't begin to describe it. but still i love it.
ReplyDeleteThanks, my girl and I knew you would. I see your post and comment times match my hours last night. We should have chatted.
ReplyDeleteOh my. It is taking every bit of my strength to not in a car with my wallpaper stripping tools and come see you. I agree with Rae. Is the chair rail paintable, or will it have to be replaced? But, I know the bones are there and when you are done with it, it is going to be absolutely beautiful!
ReplyDelete