Thursday, April 15, 2010

Reviving the Kitchen

A few days ago when I posted about my lovely kitchen I had to almost giggle when I saw what my sister K had commented. She suggested a sage or soft green for my kitchen. At that time I had these stuck on the wall in the kitchen


and these spread out on my counter.


from my old friends at


even after being 700 miles apart for more than 25 years we still think alike. Sister K, that's the vinyl flooring in the kitchen. I can live with it until we decide what to do with all the other floors.

I'm leaning toward these, I really like the shagreen for the kitchen and the ryegrass for the living room/dining room. I loved the way they looked at the window with all the trees outside.




I'm considering painting the cabinets, there are a few that have some damage that we will have to fix and then I want to add a couple too - I want to rework the island. Paint may be the best way to go rather than trying to match wood stain on filled spots and new cabinetry. I'd love to paint the cabinets all creamy white with like a mocha glaze but that is not real practical for the House on the Hill, the hill that is all red dirt and M loves messin' in his red dirt. So, I'm thinking about a warm chocolate brown for the bottom cabinets and a soft white for the top. I'd distress them all and then glaze the brown cabinets with black and glaze the top with the brown. I like these brown tones and I know the white I want to use is RustOleum's Heritage White. I really like the Tea Chest. If I decide against the brown, I'll distress and paint the bottom cabinets black. I can't make up my mind about that. I think the black might show the red dust just as much as the white.

Then I would want a black/brown/whitish blend countertop, dark wood on the floors and then I'd get my sewing machine happy with some linen print fabric, I'm thinking almost a botannical print. Or would that war with all the live botannicals right outside the windows? What do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment